- 7 fluid ounces of water per person
- 6 tablespoons of chopped cacao per person.
- Pinch of chilli/cayenne
Natural sweetener of your choice such as honey, agave syrup, cane sugar, etc. to taste. This is optional. It is not necessary to sweeten the cacao drink to benefit from the cacao in ceremony.
You can melt the cacao with some hot water and stir, (you do not need to grate or but it) not boiling water, but very hot (almost boiling) is fine, it cools to below 87c very quickly and will not effect the strength of the cacao.
- Heat water with chili to just before a boil. It should be just too hot to the touch but not boiling
- Add the cacao
- Add sweetening and spices to taste
- Use a whisk to stir the brew until it’s all the chunks are blended and you get a frothy top
- It’s helpful to have a spoon or stirring stick to keep the consistency even as you consume. The cacao will settle at the bottom over time.